Seniors can claim lost funds at Rep. Keicher’s I-Cash Event

Local residents interested in finding out whether the State of Illinois is holding unclaimed funds owed to them are invited to attend an I-Cash event at the DeKalb Senior Center to be held from 10:00 a.m. to Noon on Saturday, March 16, sponsored by State Representative Jeff Keicher, R-Sycamore. The DeKalb Senior Center is located at 330 Grove Street.

Common types of unclaimed property include checking and savings accounts, uncashed wage and payroll checks, uncashed stock dividends and stock certificates, insurance payments, utility deposits, customer deposits, accounts payable, credit balances, refund checks, money orders, traveler’s checks, mineral proceeds, court deposits, uncashed death benefit checks and life insurance proceeds. Unclaimed property does not include real estate or vehicles.

“The I-Cash program is an important tool to get money in the pockets of local residents that is rightfully theirs,” Representative Keicher said. “I welcome and encourage you to stop by and find out if you have any money owed to you. It’s quick, easy, and will only take a few minutes of your time.”

I-Cash is administered by the Office of Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerichs. Property is returned to the original owner or their heirs at no cost with the proper identification. Staff from the Treasurer’s Office will be on hand to assist guests with filing claims of any funds owed to them. Each unclaimed property claim requires a minimum of a completed and signed claim form, a copy of photo identification and social security number. Individuals who are already aware the State owes them money but just need assistance filling out the claim form are welcome to attend Representative Keicher’s event as well.

Unclaimed property laws began in the United States as a consumer protection program and they have evolved to protect not only the owners, but their heirs and estates as well. Once property is in the custody of the state and its unclaimed property program, the state will maintain custody of the property in perpetuity until the rightful owner or heirs come forward to claim.

For questions or more information, please call Representative Keicher’s office at (815) 748-3494.